With the advancement in Cryobiology or treatment of living organisms with greater freezing and the selection of substances that protect embryo, eggs cell and sperm from dangers of freezing and thawing processalso known as cryoprotectants.Cryoprotective agents (CPAs) makes embryo freezing, eggs cell and sperm are effective.
Embryo cryopreservation/Embryo freezing
The embryo-freezing technique is a standard and acceptedin infertility treatment procedures. Freezing the embryos must be fertilization by IVF method, stimulating the ovaries to appropriate size of eggs cell. Transvaginal oocyte retrieval collects egg cells and fertilized outside the body with sperm and get embryo at different stages. When a spouse wishes to have a child or ready to conceive, embryo will be dissolves and transferred back into the uterus of the woman.
Mature oocyte cryopreservation/Oocyte freezing
Oocyte freezingis fertility treatment for unmarried women or in case of religious prohibitions or legal restrictions on embryo freezing. Vitrification methods can help reduce the structural damage in the egg cells caused by the freezing process. This resulted in a higher post-thaw made survival rate and freezing successful. Therefore, choosing to Oocyte freezing is an option that provides a similar pregnancy outcome to the use of unprocessed eggs for unmarried women planning to have children in the future.
Indications for collect egg cell freezing
- Freezing egg cells for future pregnancy.
- Women with cancer or other diseases who patient is young or unmarried and need chemotherapy or radiation that may have negative effects on the ovaries.
- Have genetic abnormalities such as BRCA mutations, which are at risk of developing breast and ovarian cancer.
It is a process that uses cooling at -196 ºC to preserve sperm for use in outofbody fertilization assisted reproductive technology. There are many of factors involved in sperm freezing and successful of sperm freezing such as sperm quality before freezing, type and concentration of spermicide, freezing and thawing temperatures.
Indications for sperm freezing
- People who difficult ejaculation conditions or very low sperm quantity.
- Freezing sperm for future use for men who cannot collect semen on the same day that woman collects eggs.
- Men who will receive treatment and have radiation that will affect the quality of the sperm.
- Men who want to be sterilizedbut want to keep sperm for future change.
Instructions for storing sperm freezing
- You should be collected sperm while body is normal. If you are unwell or receiving any medication, let your doctor know.
- You should refrain from ejaculation by any methods for at least 2 days but not more than 5 days.
- Wash your hands and wash your genitals cleanly before storing.
- Collect sperm by masturbation method. Do not use the method of sexual intercourse and ejaculate sperm outside, do not use commercially available condoms. (A special condom for semen collection may be used, such as a Male Factor pack, Hygiene.)
- Collect sperm into a sterile, wide-mouthed container which made of material that has been certified to be not harmful to sperm.
- You should collect sperm in a private room near a laboratory or ifcollected from home should be delivered to the laboratory within 1 hour.
- During delivery sperm to the laboratory, should be stored at between 25-37 ° C. If higher or lower temperatures will affect sperm motility and viability. (Do not store in the refrigerator or frozen)